Taking Stock of Campus Security: A Quick Checklist
- Improving Your Business Security in 2021 - February 1, 2021
- A Guide to Office Automation and Security - January 18, 2021
- Essentials for Church Security Planning in 2021 - January 4, 2021
Developing security plans for colleges and universities is extremely difficult because every campus is different and has distinctive challenges. There is no single model for securing dorms, thousands of people, parking lots in multiple locations, open spaces, and many unique buildings.
As security technology evolves, providing more comprehensive solutions, universities and colleges must evolve antiquated security plans to multi-layered security approaches. It’s a daunting task for any campus safety department. Failure to consider protective factors for people and environmental risks could lead to disastrous results.
How to Approach Typical Challenges for Campus Security
The best approach is to contact a security integrator experienced in developing security solutions for universities and colleges. They’ll evaluate from the outside looking in and can detect possible areas that may present problems. These are areas that are often overlooked by security, and police officers patrolling the campus every day.
A risk assessment is the first plan of action to identify weaknesses and strengths in current security methods and processes. Thorough assessments are well worth the time they take because they can enhance overall security. Use the assessment as a road map to evaluate spending as it can divert limited resources to where they’re needed the most.
A Risk Assessment Checklist
- Stadiums, Arenas, and athletic fields- Venues that draw tens of thousands of people may require a separate assessment of internal patrol procedures, access control, and perimeter security.
- Electronic security systems- Are your security systems and solutions integrated, i.e., surveillance, intrusion solutions, access control systems?
- Dorms- Are the most up-to-date access control solutions implemented and if so, how effective are they?
- The surrounding area- How do close traffic patterns, local governmental infrastructure, and businesses impact the university campus?
- Parking garages and lots- Are all entry and exit points monitored by video surveillance and well-lit?
- Outdoor landscaping, fencing, and lighting- Do current unkept areas offer places for criminals to hide? Is there sufficient lighting to eliminate dark spaces?
- Current security procedures and policies-What are the campus’s vulnerabilities and active threats?
This quick checklist provides some guidance for assessing your campus’s risk and creating a security plan. Partner with an experienced, professional security integrator to streamline the process and get excellent advice.
ABOUT IDS Alarm Services, Inc.
As an experienced security integrator, IDS Alarm Services, Inc. has served clients in the Southeast U.S. since 1990. Their innovative product offerings include Access Control, Fire Alarms, Network Wiring, Security Systems, and Video Surveillance. Contact us today if you have any questions about adding security or fire alarm systems to your property.